With Microsoft's Intune's Company Portal, you can utilize the ability to install our Roaming Client and connect them to your Android mobile devices. Below are steps on how to enroll your device, install the roaming client, and create a site key auto-configuration policy via Intune.
Enroll your Android device
- Your Administrator will need to log into the Microsoft Endpoint Manager Admin Center
- From there, they will then need to navigate to Devices > Enroll Devices > Android enrollment > Manage Google Play
- Place a checkmark next to the I agree box as this grants Microsoft permission to send user and device information to Google.
- Then connect Intune to your Google account by clicking on the 'Launch Google to connect now' button. Once done, you'll see the status update with a green checkmark.
Installing the DNSFilter app
- Install the Intune app on your Android device via the Google Play Store and sign in to your Company portal
- Navigate back to the Endpoint Manager and select Apps > All Apps > Add > Manage Google Play app
- Choose Select at the very bottom and on the next screen search for DNSFilter
- Select DNSFilter and click on the Approve option to grant permission to all versions of the app
- In the following screen, you can choose how you would prefer to handle new app permissions. Select your desired option and click Done.
- Once done, at the top left corner, select Sync
- After performing a sync, you will notice this banner appear in the Endpoint Manager informing you that a sync is currently in progress
- When the sync is completed and the app is fully installed in your dashboard, click on DNSFilter and go to Properties > Assignments > Edit
- From here you can then make the DNSFilter app available for enrolled devices, Groups, or Users
- Once you've done that, select Review + Save
- Within a few minutes, you will then see the DNSFilter app available in the Google Play where you can install it from there on your Android device
- Launch the DNSFilter app and tap Start Filter
Create an Auto Configuration Policy
Intune provides the ability to pre-populate an app of your choice with specific data. You can apply this to the roaming client by:
- Selecting Apps > App configuration policies
- Then choose Add > Managed devices
- In the screen that follows, give the policy a name and a short description with the following fields selected:
Platform type: Android Enterprise
Profile type: All Profile Types
Targeted app: DNSFilter
- Click Next
- Choose Use configuration designer for the Configuration settings format
- Under this option, click the Add button and place a checkmark next to the Site Key option
- Select Ok and copy/paste your Site key into the Configuration Variable field
- For Connected apps, choose Enable and click Next
- Add in the appropriate groups, users, devices, Next
- Click Review + Create
Upon installation of the DNSFilter app, users will no longer need to manually enter their Site Key as it has now been configured within the Intune policy. When the app is launched, users will only need to tap on Start Filter. Once this is done the first time, filtering is on by default, and you would need to input a pin to stop the service.
If you experience any issues with these steps, please feel free to reach out to our Support Team for further assistance