The DNSFilter Roaming Client supports bulk Enterprise deployments through both MDM-driven and manual methods. In order to execute such a deployment, please note the following resources:
DNSFilter Roaming Client Config File This is the .mobileconfig file, which is required to be installed on the iOS device, in addition to the app itself. It is what activates the DNS Proxy feature of iOS, which the Roaming Client requires to function. Edit the file in your favorite code editor, inserting your site key. This is obtained from the Roaming Client installation page.
DNSFilter Roaming Client Bulk Site Key File This is a .plist file which will allow for true bulk deployment. You may pre-fill the site key manually or via MDM, in order to more easily allow provisioning across many devices. For more information on bulk provisioning through the .plist file please see our instructions above.
When deploying via MDM, it is typically best practice to automatically specify the site key for the site which you’d like to attach the client to. In order to do so, complete the following steps once you have your site key (as specified above).
Step 1 - Edit plist file
Edit the DNSFilter_iOS.plist File
Find the section and replace the INSERT_SITE_KEY_HERE text with the Site Secret Key for the DNSFilter site that you’d like the iOS device to associate with. Save the file.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> <plist version="1.0"> <dict> <key>site_key</key> <string>INSERT_SITE_KEY_HERE</string> </dict> </plist>
Step 2 - Edit mobileconfig file
Edit the DNSFilter.mobileconfig file using the instructions below:
- Using Apple Configurator 2, choose “File —> Open” and open the DNSFilter.mobileconfig file.
- Under the “DNS Proxy” tab, choose “Upload File”
- Select the DNSFilter_iOS.plist file (which you have edited to contain your site key in step 1) and upload.
- Ensure your site key is listed/shown in the "Provider Configuration" text area.
- Save the DNSFilter.mobileconfig file. Now that you have your custom configuration file that references the .plist file you created, you may continue the normal deployment process by uploading the profile to the device and installing the DNSFilter Roaming Client.