This is a guide to Roaming Client deployments in the dashboard. For an instructional walkthrough of deploying DNSFilter on your devices, see our Windows Roaming Client Deployment Guide.
The management of Roaming Clients can be done through the Deployments > Roaming Clients section of the dashboard. There are two panels here, one for the management of clients, and one for the installation of clients.
Roaming Client Management Panel
The management panel allows you to make edits to one or more clients. The following options are available:
- Friendly Name - This is an optional name that you can assign to the client. Otherwise, it is the computer hostname when the client was installed.
- Policy/Schedule - This is the assigned Policy or Filtering Schedule for the client.
- Block Page - This is the Block Page that the client will display or redirect to.
- Tags - This allows you to group clients by one of more categories, similar to Gmail’s tag feature.
- Site - This is the site the Roaming Client is assigned to for billing and organizational purposes. Query usage from the client will be counted along with the network the client is assigned to.
Roaming Client Installation Panel
The installation panel is used for downloading the current version of user clients, as well as displaying the Site Secret Key (SSK) or NKEY of your Associated Sites. This key will allow you to register the client in our system and associate it to one of your networks. SSKs are how DNSFilter tracks the usage of the user client with a particular site. (If you are an MSP, be careful not to mix SSKs between sites/clients.) There is also a documentation link which links to this website.
There is also a Mobile Administration PIN, which is used to turn off the filter in the mobile app. The PIN code rotates every 24h so that, should the PIN code become known, the risk of circumvention by your users is minimized.
Complete installation walkthroughs are available in our Windows Roaming Client Deployment Guide and Android Deployment Guide. A button to Enable Auto Registration allows you to register mobile devices automatically if they are present on a <> that you have registered to your account. This removes the need to manually enter the SSK for mobile devices.
A button to Enable Auto Registration allows you to register mobile devices automatically if they are present on a site that you have registered to your account. This removes the need to manually enter the SSK for mobile devices.
Auto registration has no effect on Windows or MacOS Roaming Clients or our Relay application.
Disable Roaming Client
You may disable individual agents by entering an administration PIN into device interface. In order to generate a PIN code, select your site below. Currently this functionality is only supported on iOS, Android and ChromeOS devices.
Roaming Client Settings
- Enable Roaming Clients Auto Update - If this is turned on, it will allow user clients to update automatically whenever a newer version is released.
From the DNSFilter Dashboard, you may optionally create a list of local domains and/or hostnames and force those DNS queries to a specific set of DNS resolvers.
In the example shown below, queries for *.corp.acme.com, *.acme.org, and *.portal.acme.com will be sent to 10.11.50.1 or 10.11.50.2 (in descending order). If neither Local Resolver return a DNS response, the Roaming Client will fail open and send the query to the DNSFilter resolvers.